Sunday, September 23, 2007

Technology

I did a google search on "technology" and the top result was the wikipedia entry for technology, in which I discovered an interesting new word.....

Technicism:
Generally,
technicism is an over reliance or overconfidence in technology as a benefactor of society.

I think we do a bit of that, just look at teenagers with their mobile phones! You know there's a generation gap when...

But there's certainly a lot of current technology which I wouldn't want to live without. The internet generally, and my favourite gizmo of all time, my lovely iPod. I particularly enjoy listening to podcasts, thanks to technology, they're all there waiting for me whenever I have some time to relax. I think technology works best when it finds a real human need or want, and isn't just invention for the sake of invention.

It can also be a fickle friend, any iPod users who are running Windows Vista...if you have any tips for me on how to help them get along, I'd love to hear them!

2 comments:

danielle said...

I like that definition - more people should be aware of the message in that. Lots of discussion on e-lists about libraries becoming just such a victim.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.