Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Del.icio.us

I managed to set up a Del.icio.us account a couple of weeks ago, and tag a couple of articles I found while doing the Bloglines exercise. That bit was easy enough, but I think I must be missing something here. I was just looking at the PCLMC2 delicious site, but I couldn't see any comments on the links. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong spot?

I like the sharing aspect of these tools. Yes you can bookmark a page just the same and keep it for yourself, but with this tool, you can share your bookmark with others. And unlike Google etc, these articles are here to be seen because someone has read it and wants to recommend it to others. The amount of people linking to pages is a good indication of usefulness, and once you find someone with simliar interests, you may find a lot of stuff you may not have necessarily have been looking for.

The tags also add an extra bit of oopmh to the average bookmark, in that they allow bookmarks to be categorised with a number of tags, instead of living hidden away in a folder. This should make the easier to find, especially where there are a number of people using them, like at the reference desk.