Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The future of libraries

Hmmm....

Well,

It seems to me that Libraries 2.0 is about connecting with our patrons online the way have done in our library buildings. If libraries 2.0 is the means, then the end would be a harmonious and fully engaged library community, both online and off. So the technologies here are a means to an end, not an end in themselves.

I'm not sure whether our borrowers here are screaming out for this kind of online community at the moment, maybe I'm wrong and they reading this right now! If you are please leave a comment. But I do think people who use our websites now, expect a certain level of dynamism in the content. There's nothing more boring than a completely static site is there? This is a great way to achieve that dynamism. I also think that if people are looking for that kind of community hub, then libraries are in a good position to provide it.

So, here we all are, what's next?

No comments: